Athletics Mission Statement
Parker's athletic program is, most importantly, where students learn the value of good health, collaboration, fun, and building relationships. The athletic program provides opportunities for instruction, participation, and growth and strives to promote healthy competition characterized by sportsmanship and teamwork. Athletics at Parker enhances the academic experience and, while fostering respectful relationships among the students, strengthens the community. Students are encouraged to strive to compete at the highest level their ability and performance will allow. Accordingly, Parker provides varied levels of competition for each athlete. These goals of the athletic program relate to the following common principles of the Coalition of Essential Schools: requiring students to demonstrate mastery through exhibition, personalizing teaching and learning, emphasizing depth over breadth, embracing the metaphor "student as worker, teacher as coach," stressing un-anxious expectation, trust and decency, considering teachers as generalists with a commitment to the entire school, and modeling democratic and equitable practices.
As a community, we meet the challenges of our athletic philosophy through the cultivation of the following values:
- A commitment to age- and skill-appropriate coaching and competition at every level;
- A commitment to achieving individual and team goals;
- A commitment to diligent preparation, fair play, and self-discipline;
- A commitment to exercise and competition that contributes to the development of an athlete's mental, emotional, and physical well-being.
Guidelines for Play
Middle School Teams:
- Every student is provided an opportunity to play on a team. The Middle School has a no-cut policy.
- The emphasis at this level is on instruction, development, teamwork, fair play, and sportsmanship.
- Participation is a key component for Middle School teams. At this level, it is anticipated that all team members will play in every game.
- With the Athletic Director's approval, eighth-grade students who are exceptionally proficient in a sport may try out for an Upper School team.
Junior Varsity Teams:
- The junior varsity level stresses learning and refining fundamental skills, game strategies, game knowledge, and rules.
- The junior varsity teams are a building block for the varsity teams.
- Participation is the hallmark of the junior varsity level. At this level, it is anticipated that an effort will be made for all team members to receive reasonable playing time over the course of the season.
- The varsity level is an advanced level of play: students should start the season in proper condition, have the appropriate fundamental skills, and know basic strategies and all rules.
- Parker's goal at this level is to field the strongest, most competitive team. (Players may not play in every game at this level).
- This level provides an opportunity for players to play at a collegiate level after Parker.
All forms on this page must be completed by all student athletes and returned to the school nurse. Forms can be uploaded to the Health Portal, emailed to email@example.com, faxed to the nurse at 978-772-9494, or printed and mailed directly to the nurse at the school.
Follow these instructions for completing forms on the Health Portal:
- If you don't already have Adobe Acrobat on your computer, download it for free at https://get.adobe.com/reader/ (you must use Adobe even on a MAC or Chrome Book)
- Login to www.studentehr.com, go to Forms, and then click Download “Student Emergency and Health Form - ALL STUDENTS except ATHLETES.” Save this file to your computer. Don’t complete the form until you’ve downloaded a blank version of it and saved it on your computer
- Open the BLANK form with Adobe that you’ve saved to your computer, complete the form, and save it again
- Click Return Now, select Submit, Choose the saved file from your computer, then Return
Athletes should follow the directions listed above to download, complete, and submit "Athletes ONLY - Required Documentation" which includes the Student Emergency and Health Form plus other required forms.