It’s been wonderful to see students and teachers on campus during our first week of a hybrid school model! This week marks the one year anniversary of interruption(s) caused by COVID-19 to our school keeping practices and routines; it’s nice to be working back toward a more recognizable school day at greater scale as the sun begins to melt the snow, vaccines are more widely available, and infection rates are falling in our region.
Earlier this week Massachusetts education officials set a deadline of April 28th for public middle schools (Parker’s Division 1) to get back to full-time in-person instruction. The Parker faculty and staff will begin work next week on plans and adjustments we’ll need to make in order to meet that deadline (and also welcome back to campus Divisions 2 & 3). As has been the case all year, we’ll need help from our students and families in developing those plans; please expect additional surveys and outreach in the next few weeks.
And for right now, that’s as much as we know. We plan to stay in the current hybrid school model until April break and will, with your help, develop a detailed picture of what follows in the coming days and weeks.
This week’s topics:
- On-Campus Info
- Yearbook Orders
- Spring Sports
- Parker Paper
- Student Food Security and Meal Pick-ups
- Our Essential Commitment Fund
- Tracking COVID-19 Numbers at Parker
- Pooled Testing
- Health Office Reminders
On-Campus Lunch (free, to be ordered in morning advisory) choice of:
- Turkey Bacon Subs OR
- Black Bean Burgers (both with milk and side dishes)
Breakfast (free) is available in your assigned lunch room from 8:10-8:30.
If you have not yet read the FAQs, please do so!
If have not yet done your pooled testing consent forms, please do so!
If you do not feel well, you should not come to campus!
If you are not planning to come to campus, you will receive information about your remote work/class directly from your teacher
Some reminders about what students should BRING when they come to campus:
- A well-fitting mask
- Your laptop and charger (and stylus, if applicable)
- Headphones (VERY important for remote classes like Spanish)
- Layers/coat/sweater – be prepared for a room that feels too cold for you please, as classroom windows will be open for ventilation
Some arrival/departure reminders:
- Arrival window is 8:10-8:30 at the entry door sent to you via email (Lobby or Room 13 door [past loading dock]).
- Pick up is between 2:30-3:30 and students should exit the building via the door they entered.
- Students who arrive at school AFTER 9:00am OR DEPART school before 2:30pm should use the LOBBY entrance and be sure to sign-in/sign-out.
- Please see the FAQs for more details about pick-up, drop-off, and school schedule/hours.
Order Your Yearbook Now!
- Order by Monday March 29th: Complete order here.
- Contact Ashley at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions!
Spring Sports Sign-Ups & Starting Dates
Please email nurse Lisa Zick to sign up for any spring sport. email@example.com
- Track & Field will begin Monday, March 15.
- Softball and Baseball will begin Monday, April 5.
- Co-op Lacrosse (hosted by Bromfield) will begin Monday, April 26.
State safety guidelines (masks, distancing) will be in effect, as well as sport-specific modifications. Please email Athletic Director Ben Benoit with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org
Sports User Fee Policy:
The User Fee is $300 per player, per sport** for Track, Softball and Baseball. Checks can be made payable to Parker, or the online payment option can be used (on the school website under Students & Parents). Anyone who desires a payment plan, or qualifies under the free/reduced school lunch program, should contact the business office prior to the season starting. **Lacrosse User Fee will be payable to Bromfield and is currently TBD.
Reminder the Parker Paper is a community newspaper for Parker School and the Devens Community created as part of a current senior project. Check it out using this link. If you want to get involved in the paper in any way (questions, ideas, contributions, etc.) or just want to explore an interest in student journalism please contact email@example.com. Thanks for reading!
Student Food Security and Meal Pick-Ups
Reminder to click here for information about food security and free student meal service at Parker (and other locations throughout the state). Please SIGN UP for the meal pick-up program via this link so that we can anticipate numbers of meals needed: Student Meal Registration. Pick up hours are normally from 7 – 9 AM on Tuesdays and Fridays.
Our Essential Commitment Fund
As of March 11, 2021, the Parker community has already invested $183,000! We are incredibly grateful. STAND UP FOR PARKER by making your donation here.
Tracing COVID-19 Numbers at Parker
Positive COVID-19 cases in the Parker community are reported to the Department of Secondary and Elementary Education (DESE), but if the individual has not been on campus, he/she poses no risk to anyone on campus and the data point gets screened out. We will now include weekly numbers of positive COVID-19 cases in this Family Information email. The following are positive cases in the Parker community from 3/6/21-3/12/21:
- Staff – 0
- Students – 1
None of the above have been on campus. If there is a positive case on campus, all close contacts will be contacted immediately by Lisa Zick, School Nurse.
Participating individuals are tested individually once a week with a nasal swab test. Each person does a shallow swab of their own nose by rotating three (3) times inside each nostril. A maximum of 10 swabs are mixed together into a group called a "pool" and sent out to a lab for a molecular PCR test and tested for COVID-19 at one time.
If the pool test comes back negative, all staff/students in the pool are COVID-negative. In this case, you will not hear from us.
If the pool test comes back positive, it means that at least one person in the pool is COVID-positive. In this case, all members of that pool will come back to school as soon as possible for an individual rapid follow-up test with the school nurse.
Pooled Test Results from 3/5/21-3/12/21:
- # of pools = 28
- # of NEGATIVE pools = 28
- # of POSITIVE pools = 0
Health Office Reminders
Please call or email the school nurse if any family member tests positive for COVID-19 or is a close contact to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19. Lisa Zick can be reached at 978-772-3293 x135 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reminder that students should not come to school if:
- the student or a family member living in the same household presents with COVID-19 symptoms
- a student has been exposed to COVID-19 (close contact) and is in quarantine, regardless of a negative test result
- a family member has been exposed to COVID-19 (close contact) and is unable to isolate from the rest of the family, regardless of a negative test result
- a family member/student is AWAITING RESULTS of a COVID-19 test
Are You Planning to Travel Outside of Massachusetts?
Below are links from Mass.gov and the CDC.gov regarding travel during COVID-19:
Please reach out to Lisa Zick at email@example.com if you have questions.
Upcoming Dates of Note
Board of Trustees
Spring Break Noon Dismissal
Parker Prowl Begins